Skip to main content

A Trusted Name in Roofing Since 1993

Home  About Us  Services  Project Gallery  Contact Us  Systems & Products  Promotions   Satisfied Customers  Information & FAQ  Media  Energy Efficiency   Site Map   
Q: What kind of contractor do I need?
A: Roofing contractors hold a C-39 specialty license.Using a correctly licensed contractor could help your avoid financial risk and other problems associated with unlicensed operators. In California, anyone who contracts to perform work on a project that is valued at $500 or more for combined labor and materials costs must hold a current, valid license from CSLB. You can verify the license or call (800) 321-CSLB (2752).

Alert symbolALERT Be advised that unlicensed individuals pose a risk to you and your family's financial security if a worker is injured while on your property, your property is damaged, or if the work is incomplete and/or faulty. Few, if any, unlicensed individuals have a bond or workers' compensation insurance. The quality of their work usually doesn't compare to that of a licensed contractor. Don't take the chance in order to save a few dollars. You'll probably end up paying more in the long run.

CSLB licenses contractors in 43 different classifications. This ranges from general contractors to swimming pool contractors, landscapers, painters, electricians, plumbers and many more. It will be easier to decide the right type of contractor if you carefully plan your project in advance and clearly define what you want done to your property.

Understanding the difference between a general and specialty contractor

General engineering and building contractors usually oversee projects and coordinate the specific licensed subcontractors for a job. Specialty or subcontractors usually are hired to perform a single job. For example, if you need only roofing or plumbing work, you may want to hire a contractor licensed in that particular specialty.

A general building contractor also may contract for specialty work, but must hold a specialty license for that work or actually have a specialty contractor do the work. The only exception is if the job requires more than two types of work on a building. Then it is appropriate for a licensed general building contractor to contract for and oversee the entire project. For example, if your kitchen remodeling will involve plumbing, electrical and carpentry work under one contract, you should hire a licensed "B" General Building contractor. Under these circumstances, a "B" contractor may perform all of the work on a building, or subcontract parts of the job to contractors with specialty licenses.

For more information, visit the CLSB page with tips on hiring a roofing contractor here.

A: The age of your roof is usually the major factor in determining when to replace it. Most
roofs last many years if properly installed and often can be repaired rather than replaced.
Water damage to a home’s interior or overhangs is commonly caused by leaks from a single
weathered portion of the roof, poorly installed or wearing flashings or from around chimneys
and skylights.

A: Whatever the roofing material – composition shingle, wood shake, tile or metal – the
best way to preserve your roof is to stay off itEspecially after seasonal or destructive weather events. If you are concerned about the integrity of your roof or need servicing, leave it to the experts. Call us for all your future needs!
Keep roof valleys and gutters clear of leaves and debris at least annually. Clogged valleys can cause water to wick under the shingles and cause damage to the interior of the roof. Clogged rain gutters can cause water to flow under the shingles on the eaves and create further damage. If you need assistance, we can help with cleaning or installation of gutter guards. Inquire about discounted maintenance rates for existing re-roof customers.

Q: How should I maintain my roof?

A:Homeowner maintenance should include cleaning the leaves and debris from the roof’s

valleys and gutters.Debris in the valleys can cause water to wick under the shingles or tiles

and cause damage to the interior of the roof.Clogged rain gutters can cause water to flow

back under the shingles or tiles on the eaves and cause damage.




Don't know where to start when it comes to colors and design? Visit GAF's Virtual Home Remodeler for assistance.